Kingston HyperX MAX 3.0 External USB 3.0 (64GB) Review
Bluetooth 10 Jan 2011
Kingston Technology joins the ranks of companies delivering SSDs last year. They made in roads with their Value series of SSD products making it available for users. To make it available in a form that is portable and durable, Kingston introduced the SSDNow V series S2BN that comes with a USB 2.0 enclosure.
Although the SSD performs pretty well, it is hampered by USB 2.0 limitation if connected as an external portable drive.
HyperMAX 3.0 is going to remove the bottleneck (~35MB/s) and give it a speed boost. The HyperMax 3.0 comes in a blue alumimium enclosure which is sealed. Warranty will be void if rip open the enclosure.
The drive comes with a USB 3.0 cable with a blue connector on one end for the PC/Notebook with USB 3.0 connector. The other looks quite different from the usual connector we see. That plugs direct into the SSD drive.
HyperX MAX 3.0 promises a read speed of up to 195MB/s and Write speed of up to 160MB/s.
In the next few pages, we take a look at the package followed by benchmarks of the drive in USB 3.0 with NEC 3.0, Etrontech controller and traditional USB 2.0 connector.
Kingston HyperX MAX 3.0 Features and Specifications
- Performance: USB-IF SuperSpeed-Certified
- Standardized: Complies with USB 3.0 specification standards, compatible with USB 2.0
- Sequential Speed: Read: up to 195MB/sec., Write: up to 160MB/sec
- Shock-resistant: Built with Flash components so no moving parts
- Portable: Aluminum design is sleek, stylish and rugged
- Silent: Runs silently with no moving parts
- Easy: Plug & play with no driver required; utilizes USB bus power with no additional bus power required
- Guaranteed: Three-year warranty
- Capacities**: 64GB, 128GB and 256GB
- Dimensions: 2.89² x 4.67² x 0.47² (73.49mm x 118.60mm x 12.00mm)
- Vibration Operating: 20G Peak, 10-2000Hz, (20min/Axis) x 3 Axis
- Vibration Non-operating: 20G Peak, 10-2000Hz, (12 Cycle/Axis) x 3 Axis, x 20min.
- Operating Shock: 1500G
- Operating Temperature: 0° to 60°C/ 32° to 140°F
- Storage Temperature: -20° to 85°C/ -4° to 185°F
- Power Consumption: 4.5W
- Dual LED: Blue for USB 3.0, green for USB 2.0
|Kingston HyperX MAX 3.0 USB 3.0 External Drive|
|Part Number||Capacity and Features|
|SHX100U3/64G||64GB HyperX MAX External USB 3.0 Drive|
|SHX100U3/128G||128GB HyperX MAX External USB 3.0 Drive|
|SHX100U3/256G||256GB HyperX MAX External USB 3.0 Drive|
|File Transfer Speeds (m:ss)|
|HyperX MAX 3.0 USB 3.0 External USB Drive||USB 3.0 port||USB 2.0 port|
|10GB Movie File||1:12||5:52|
|475 MP3 Music Files||:20||1:16|
|4GB Hi-Res TIFF & JPEG Images||:55||2:37|
Goto Page : Next Page »»