Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 (DTU30) 64 GB USB 3.0 stick Review – Intro
bluetooth 20 Dec 2010
If you are one that relies on USB sticks for your important documents and large files, you would have long wanted this, a USB 3.0 based device that delivers faster reading and writing.
Kingston, the renown storage king now brings you the 64GB USB 3.0 stick. The Kingston’s DataTraveler Ultimate 3.0 (DTU30) features the latest technology for USB Flash drives, making it ideal for early adopters who want to take advantage of all the performance improvements offered by USB 3.0 right away.
In the past, transferring from USB 2.0 is always a pain in the neck. We are stucked with a reading of only 30MB/s for read/write. With the new USB 3.0 stick, data transfer rates for USB 3.0 to 80MB/sec. read and 60MB/sec. The new USB 3.0 is 2.6x faster in read and 2x faster in write.
If you use an existing board or notebook with USB 2.0 only interface, this stick is backward compatible with USB 2.0. The package comes with a USB 2.0 Y cable for you to plug the DTU30.
In the subsequent pages, we take a look at the performance of it running on USB 3.0 capable board and running it in the compatible USB 2.0 mode. The first chart shows the performance using USB 2.0 while the second shows the performance when paired with a USB 3.0 port on a NEC USB 3.0 controller chip on board.
- Capacities* – 16GB, 32GB, 64GB
- Requirements – system with USB 3.0 port
- Fast** – data transfer rates for USB 3.0 to 80MB/sec. read and 60MB/sec. write; USB 2.0 = 30MB/sec. read and 30MB/sec. write
- Backwards compatible*** – with USB 2.0.
- Dimensions – 2.90″ x 0.87″ x 0.63″ (73.70mm x 22.20mm x 16.10mm)
- Operating Temperature – 32° to 140°F (0° to 60°C)
- Storage Temperature – -4° to 185°F (-20° to 85°C)
- Simple – just plug into a USB port
- Practical – durable casing with a solid lanyard loop
- Guaranteed – five-year warranty