Kingston Launches New Data Center 500 Series SSDs Optimized for Both Read and Mixed-Use Workloads
- New DC500 Series Implements Strict QoS Requirements for Predictable
I/O and Low-Latency Performance
Taipei, Taiwan – May 27, 2019 −− Kingston Technology, a world leader in memory products and technology solutions, announced today the new Data Center 500 Series Enterprise SSDs. DC500R is optimized for read-intensive applications while DC500M is optimized for mixed-use workloads. Both SSDs in the DC500 Series implement Kingston’s strict Quality of Service (QoS) requirements to ensure predictable random I/O performance as well as predictable low latencies over a wide range of read and write workloads.
DC500R is ideal for read-intensive applications such as boot up, web servers, virtual desktop infrastructure, operational databases and real-time analytics. Cloud service providers and software-defined storage architects can leverage the drive’s consistent I/O and latency performance to deliver the QoS needed in demanding read-centric environments. At .5 DWPD (drive writes per day), DC500R allows IT administrators to maximize their investment in storage hardware with a drive that delivers on performance, endurance and reliability.
DC500M is designed for mixed-use workloads in applications that have a more even balance of read and write I/O demands on the SSD. It is ideal for Cloud service providers and software-defined storage architects who need a flexible infrastructure to effectively adapt and manage transactional workloads. These workloads include AI, big data analytics, Cloud computing, database applications, data warehousing, machine learning and operational databases. With an endurance rating of 1.3 DWPD, DC500M is ideal for the high-volume rack-mount server market for internal drive bay upgrades, hyperscale data center servers and Cloud service providers requiring low-cost, high-performance storage subsystems.
“Eighty (80) percent of all enterprise SSDs deployed in data centers require less than one (1) DWPD,” Kingston indicated. “As data centers seek the optimal balance between application-required endurance, capacity and cost, this trend is expected to continue.”
“Quality of Service in an enterprise SSD is essential for Cloud computing applications that require predictable storage performance levels and meet customer service level agreements. The new DC500 Series SSDs deliver excellent performance to intensive data center applications from the development stage of the application to the end-user customer experience downstream,” said Kingston. “To ensure the security of user data, DC500 incorporates end-to-end data path protection and power-loss protection to safeguard data in-flight in the event of sudden power loss. This is the optimal data center storage solution when you combine its enterprise-class reliability and strict QoS requirements along with Kingston’s legendary pre- and post-sales support.”
The Data Center 500 Series is available in 480GB, 960GB, 1.92TB and 3.84TB capacities.
For more information visit www.kingston.com.
Data Center DC500 Enterprise SSD Features & Specifications:
- Optimized for read-intensive applications (DC500R): Responsiveness from low latency and consistent I/O performance delivers businesses the QoS needed in demanding read-centric workloads.
- Optimized for mixed-use applications (DC500M): An exceptional balance of consistent I/O delivery and high read and write IOPS performance to manage a wide range of transactional workloads.
- Reduce application latencies: Data center’s hosting databases and various web-based applications can leverage the predictable I/O and latency performance.
- Data Integrity Protection: ECC protection with advanced read/disturb management safeguards against data corruption for end-to-end data protection.
- On-board (PLP) Power Loss Protection: Reduce the possibility of data loss and/or corruption on ungraceful power fails via power capacitors and firmware.
- Form Factor: 2.5 Inch
- Interface: SATA Rev. 3.0 (6Gb/s) – with backwards compatibility to SATA Rev. 2.0 (3Gb/s)
- Capacities1: 480GB, 960GB, 1.92TB, 3.84TB
- NAND: 3D TLC
- Self-Encrypting Drive (SED): AES 256-bit Encryption
- Sequential Read/Write: (DC500R)
480GB – 555MBs/500MBs 960GB – 555MBs/525MBs
1.92TB – 555MBs/525MBs 3.84TB – 555MBs/520MBs
- Steady-State 4k Read/Write: (DC500R)
480GB – 98,000/12,000 IOPS 960GB – 98,000/20,000 IOPS
1.92TB – 98,000/24,000 IOPS 3.84TB – 98,000/28,000 IOPS
- Sequential Read/Write: (DC500M)
480GB – 555MBs/520MBs 960GB – 555MBs/520MBs
1.92TB – 555MBs/520MBs 3.84TB – 555MBs/520MBs
- Steady-State 4k Read/Write: (DC500M)
480GB – 98,000/58,000 IOPS 960GB – 98,000/70,000 IOPS
1.92TB – 98,000/75,000 IOPS 3.84TB – 98,000/75,000 IOPS
- Quality of Service (Latency)2 3 4: TYP Read/Write: <500 µs / <2 ms
- Hot-Plug Capable
- Static and Dynamic Wear Leveling
- Enterprise SMART tools: Reliability tracking, usage statistics, life remaining, wear leveling, temperature
480GB — 438TBW5 (0.5 DWPD)6 960GB — 876TBW5 (0.5 DWPD)6
1.92TB — 1752TBW5 (0.5 DWPD)6 3.84TB — 3504TBW5 (0.5 DWPD)6
480GB – 1139TBW5 (1.3 DWPD)6 960GB – 2278TBW5 (1.3 DWPD)6
1.92TB – 4555TBW5 (1.3 DWPD)6 3.84TB – 9110TBW5 (1.3 DWPD)6
- Power Consumption:
Idle: 1.56W / Average: 1.6W / Max Read: 1.8W / Max Write: 7.5W
- Storage temperature: -40°C ~ 85°C
- Operating temperature: 0°C ~ 70°C
- Dimensions: 69.9mm x 100mm x 7mm
- Weight: 92.34g
- Vibration operating: 2.17G Peak (7–800Hz)
- Vibration non-operating: 20G Peak (10–2000Hz)
- MTBF: 2 million hours
- Warranty/support7: Limited 5-year warranty with free technical support
|Kingston DC500R (Read-Centric)|
|Kingston DC500M (Mixed-Use)|
1Some of the listed capacity on a Flash storage device is used for formatting and other functions and thus is not available for data storage. As such, the actual available capacity for data storage is less than what is listed on the products. For more information, go to Kingston’s Flash Guide atkingston.com/flashguide.
2 Workload based on FIO, Random 4KB QD=1 workload, measured as the time taken for 99.9 percentile of commands to finish the round-trip from host to drive and to host.
3 Measurement taken once the workload has reached steady state but including all background activities required for normal operation and data reliability.
4 Based on 960GB capacity.
5 Total Bytes Written (TBW) is derived from the JEDEC Enterprise Workload (JESD219A).
6 Drives Writes Per Day (DWPD).
7 Limited warranty based on 5 years or SSD “Life Remaining” which can be found using the Kingston SSD Manager (kingston.com/SSDManager). A new, unused product will show a wear indicator value of one hundred (100), whereas a product that has reached its endurance limit of program erase cycles will show a wear indicator value of one (1). See kingston.com/wa for details.