Teen has stomach removed after drinking liquid nitrogen LN2 cocktail

Liquid Nitrogen is something that should be familiar with some extreme overclockers. While it is fun to see benchmark scores breaking 7GHz, it can also be deadly if used wrongly.

At some events, you will usually see some heroes (i call them idiots) performing “swallowing the LN2″ trick by pouring a bit into the mouth and blowing it out from nose or mouth. This is actually a stupid and dangerous stunt. I am not sure what the manufactureres have to say about this kind of dangerous marketing gimmick. Are these people covered by insurance. Do insurance companies pay out for such acts of negligence ?

In most videos, they are giving the false impresion that drinking LN2 is cool and safe. See the video below

Below is the news report from HeraldSun Australia reporting that a teen girl has her stomach removed after drinking a cocktail with LN2. So beware of LN2. It is not really as safe as most claim.

A TEENAGER nearly died and had her stomach removed in hospital after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.

Gaby Scanlon, from Heysham in the UK, drank the cocktail during a night out celebrating her 18th birthday in Lancaster last Thursday, the Lancaster Guardian reported.

She first felt breathless, then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary, where doctors diagnosed a perforated stomach.

Ms Scanlon was rushed to surgery where her stomach was removed in order to save her life.

On Monday she was reported to be in a serious but stable condition.

A Lancashire police spokesman told the Guardian their investigation was still in its early stages and they were interviewing witnesses.

.

“The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen,” they said.

The local BBC reported that the venue, Oscar’s wine bar, sent their “heartfelt best wishes” to Ms Scanlon and her family “at this distressing time”.

The Daily Mail reported that Oscar’s had recently promoted a cocktail called the “Pornstar Martini”, containing liquid nitrogen and champagne, for nine pounds ($14).

Ms Scanlon’s stepfather, Ian Henshall, told the Daily Mail the family were hoping for a quick recovery. “We are just concentrating on her getting better,” he said.

Gaby Scanlon, whose 18th birthday drinks took a disastrous turn when she drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen.

Ms Scanlon was apparently well enough to post on Twitter on Sunday, complaining that people were joking about her nearly dying, the Mail reported.

A local councillor, Paul Aitchison, told the Press Association he had also tried a liquid nitrogen drink at the bar called a “Nitro Jagermeister” – but without any ill effects.

Local director of public health Dr John Aston said Ms Scanlon was the victim of an “irresponsible alcohol industry that’s now competing on gimmicks.”

“(Bartenders) should not be playing chemistry,” he said, calling for closer regulation of the drinks industry.

Nitrogen takes liquid form at 196 degrees below zero Centigrade. Thanks to the ‘Liedenfrost Effect’, people will survive brief contact with liquid nitrogen unscathed. But longer exposures will cause ‘cryogenic burns’ and kill unprotected flesh in the same way as frostbite.

Drinking liquid nitrogen is a party trick with occasionally devastating consequences, as the gas rapidly warms and expands in the stomach, causing it to burst. Drops of liquid nitrogen can also burn away the lining of the stomach.

People who have had their stomach removed can continue to live a normal life and eat and drink regular food, but they can only eat smaller portions and need to take vitamin supplements for nourishment.

Source


Tagged:
  • anonymous

    At least she’ll never get fat.

  • http://moonfaker.com trodas

    That is plain stupidity. Who want’s to “be cool” by playing this modern version of russian rulette, then it also must bite the bullet and pay with life, when things go wrong. I doubt that this is sane behaviour. Liquid LN2 is not for drinking and should be handled with extreme caution. Sadly some people show this as amusement:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjsMV1MglA4
    …witch it is, but as long and only as long, before someone get hurt. With stomach removed, the girl will life only infusions and perhaps wait for donor of stomach. I won’t be willing to donate stomach to anyone, who clearly not value it much.